Tuesday, June 2, 2009

BACK TO FUTURE: VEDITZ ENVISIONED THE WORLD OF VIDEOPHONES!






When I researched on Veditz for my upcoming video project, I got goose pimples when I saw George Veditz's letter to AG Bell. It felt like going back 95 years to his time and see Veditz and Bell debating.

The letter showed how the deaf community refused to support Bell and his Volta Bureau. See his letter dated on February 10, 1915.

George even hit the nail right on its head when he said, "I wonder if you could be induced to turn your attention to a sort of television that will do for the eye what the telephone does for the ear." What a chilling prophecy George had!

He knew that we are having videophones today! He must have seen the future and wrote the letter thinking back to future.

I find it odd as the first television did not happen until November 9, 1919.