Friday, May 23, 2008

POLICE ABUSING DEAF JUMPS 100%



** Paul's note:

For a long time, I have been getting information from deaf communities from sea to shining sea. It is the same story all over again. Police abusing deaf has now jumped 100%! This is as result of a recent story from Rochester, NY.

This is a result of AG Bell and his regime encouraging audism and abuses in the community. It is time to buck the trend and turn things around and stop them in the tracks! 128 years of abuses have to STOP now!

There are more stories around the country that needs to be told about police abusing deaf people!

I did have vlog about this story on December 19, 2007. I have gotten many inquiries and some do not believe me. ok! I give you this opportunity to read this story from Rochester. You decide what you think should be done.

Of course, sensitivity training and learning ASL are both steps in the right direction.

But the Rochester, NY police chief said it was 'NOT REQUIRED".

This is wrong as every cop in every jurisdication should know and be aware of the needs of the deaf and hard of hearing!

We need to draw the line in the sand to stop them from abusing us!

Thank you!

Paul

enclosure:

December 19, 2007:

http://deafadvocate.blogspot.com/2007/12/police-brutality-cases-against-deaf.html




**sent to me by friends from Rochester, NY****

http://www.rnews.com/story_2004.cfm?story_type=2&rnews_story_type=18&id=61455

Deaf: Police Lax in Communication
by Mike Hedeen
photo by Matt Mann
Published May 21, 2008
Watch Video

Rochester is considered one of the most deaf-friendly cities in the country. Those who are hard of hearing say you would never know it by the actions of the police department. They feel officers are lacking in communication skills when it comes to dealing with the deaf.

Chief David Moore says sign language is not a requirement for police officers, but the training is there if requested.

"That is something that they can pursue,” Moore said. “We do have members of our staff who are extremely knowledgeable in sign language and also we have interpreters who are on call."

Many of the problems between police and the deaf community occur during routine traffic stops. Sometimes that communication barrier can turn a driving violation into something more.

That's what Jesus Colon experienced last summer. The NTID student was stopped for running a stop sign. In an attempt to explain that he was deaf, Colon says police didn't let him use a pen and paper or call for an interpreter.

"Through my window he grabs my hands, twists them, grabs my neck, throws me against the back of my chair,” Colon explained. “I have no communication at this moment. My wrist is twisted, I'm thrown around, I can't sign anymore, I can't communicate anymore, I've been physically attacked. I cannot express my thoughts, he's got my neck against the door and it was a terrible, terrible moment."

In most cases, the charges end up being dropped because of the communication breakdown. Others with similar experiences say the police are neglecting the deaf community.

“I felt that there was disrespect, that they didn't care about my needs and that they were going to very quickly provide citations without even providing clear communications,” said Barbara Kane of Rochester. “So being left out in this fish bowl is just inappropriate."

And they believe with Rochester's large deaf population, it's up to the police improve communication.

"I hope that today the police will develop an orientation every other month for them to develop a better understanding of the priorities for the deaf community,” Carmen Sciandra of Rochester said. “Police should be prepared and aware of knowledge and learning."

mrh/cdo